It is time that I come back to my roots in writing. I started keeping a journal before I knew how to write, twice even writing on the walls in our old house. I miss writing about the little things in life. I have another journal for the deep things, and we may get deep here too-- we'll see where the words lead me. None-the-less, it's time to look at the little things in life and make note of them.

The little things are most often what make the largest difference.

Monday, May 10, 2010

"I get by with a little help from my friends"

(^good song:)

There is a pure simplicity about the truly complex and intimate way friendship can make your world right again.

As alluded to in recent posts, I have had a lot on my mind recently. Anytime something large goes on in my life, whatever that situation might be, I find myself viewing the world through a new lens. This is where I am now. I see things differently. I, again, find that the run-of-the-mill every day things suddenly remind me of the intense reality of the frightening aspects of our world-- the chaos. The things we block. The things that are seen as run-of-the-mill, every day things because in many instances, we have no other way to deal with them other than to have them presented in a "everything is okay" manner. It's how movies are. Tv. Books, you name it, it's there. And this is all an okay thing.

But anytime I'm in a portion of my life such as this, I need friendship. True companionship. It is where being alone is often the greatest struggle. I have been there many times. One year ago, I was in this new place, working a new job, with nothing but new around me. It sucked. I'm rather happy here now, I can say that for sure. But I can also say that moving into summer and with a great change in my regular schedule, which comes with summer, I find myself again hoping for a different sense of stability this year.

This leads me into the concept of how we are stubbornly independent in who we are and yet how we also have a deep need for others. I find this oxymoron rather interesting. I always have and I'm assuming that I always will.

At any rate, when my schedule changes and/or I am finding myself taking on new perspectives while viewing the world, I also find myself in a funk-- simply put. Which makes complete sense, when you are not doing nor seeing as you normally see or do, of course everything will feed quite weird.

But friends, oooh my friends, when they are near, even when they are "new", and the care runs deep, the funk slips to the wayside. At least as much as it can considering. Music must be listened to. Without which, well I don't know what the world is like without which. And it is important to recognize the vast variety of music-- the kind you listen to, the kind you produce, the kind you write, the unexpected, but also the musical beauty of all of our sense-- taste. Touch. Smell. Sight. It is important to recognize the music in each of these elements. And, dumbfoundingly awe-striking, in its true rarity, we must stop and enjoy, record, the moments where music drums its way across all of our sense at once.

It is also important, above all else, to still trust and hold tight to the deep understanding that the world is good and deep within, everything is or always will be alright.

Ephesians 6:10-18


This is what friends can, have, and indeed do do for me. Surely we can pass through the world without them, but why do so when we have the opportunity for the opposite? This is why I am the friend that I am to others. I do not let go. I do not stop loving. I do not stop thinking about and praying for those I care for. Once you have a place near and dear to my heart, you will remain there for a great deal of time-- many much much longer than they may ever guess. If you have truly touched my life, I will go to greatest of great lengths to be there for you. And if you hurt me..the sorrow I experience is far deeper than many, if any, know.

I am forever thankful for the people who mean the most in my life.

1 comment: